About the Art
February 1 - July 31, 2016
When Moses Cleaveland surveyed the town in 1796, he envisioned a Public Square as a gathering space for settlers, a grazing area for livestock and a ceremonial space for the growing city.
In 1930 the Cleveland Union Terminal (Cleveland Terminal Tower) opened and the square’s southwest quadrant served as the “front yard” for Cleveland’s tallest building in the world outside New York.
The transition of Public Square continued over the centuries quadrant by quadrant. In 2010, Mayor Frank Jackson appointed the Group Plan Commission, a blue-ribbon committee inspired by the “Group Plan” of the century before, set out to make both the Mall and Public Square reach their potential as appealing destinations for locals and visitors. The reimagined Public Square is scheduled to be completed in June of 2016. www.groupplan.org