About the Art
December 15 – December 15, 2011
In my gritty studio, in the heart of the manufacturing area of Cleveland Ohio, I work with the material that shaped the industrial Midwest; steel. I create elegant and refined works using sweeping forms and geometric shapes that defy gravity. Color as well as form, create the mood and experience. Some sculptures, painted bright red, are light and playful, while other works’ employ the color black, reflecting the light from the unfinished areas.
Although my work is conceived spontaneously, I view the images below the surface of my conscience. Personal experience becomes an inspiration for the images. I mentally store images so that I can return to them in the future to recreate them.
Often I will stop working on one piece and start working on another. The unfinished piece may lay untouched for years before I realize how long it has been forgotten. I will begin working again as though I had never stopped. Stepping back from the work for a while allows me the freedom to pursue my creative processes by joining and merging past and present experience. the creation of a work marks a particular time and place in my existence by capturing a glimpse of the past.
I welcome commissions and enjoy opportunities to work with architects, designers, and owners on site-specific projects. Most of my work can be set in indoor or outdoor environments. Outdoor steel sculptures, except for those of “Corten and Stainless” are painted with an extremely durable, polished, weather resistant finishes, or finished in other durable materials. I have completed a variety of commissioned works, and would be pleased to respond to any inquiries or questions you may have. Please contact me with a detailed enquiry.
Jerry Schmidt’s work has been exhibited throughout Ohio, including the following:
- Group Exhibitions at the Ninth Street Gallery (with the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees)
- The Brenda Kroos Gallery – Cleveland, OH
- Selected Artists with the Channel 3 News Center (WKYC-Cleveland)
- The Opus Gallery – Woodmere, OH
- The Beachwood Art Center – Beachwood, OH
- The Gallery in the Vault – Wooster, OH
- The Corporate Art Gallery – Mentor, OH
- The Solon Center for the Arts Gallery – Solon, OH
- The Agnon Show – Beachwood, OH
- Cleveland State University, Peter B Lewis Building
- Akron-Summit Juvenile Court House
- Euclid Adult Activity Center
- The Cleveland Clinic
His work is also represented in numerous corporate public collections such as the Penn Central in Cincinnati, the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Saks Fifth Avenue at Beachwood Place, and the Cleveland Clinic.